Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:22:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      Kyryll A Mirnenko <mirya@ukrpost.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does `df` lie about free space (it doesn't)

>Using "tunefs -m". You need to be really careful doing this, and read
>the man page for tunefs again, particularly the warning about how
>lowering this number can trash your filesystem's performance.

  I don't want that, I need to allow using preserved 8% of disk space to a =
little group of non-root users (for ex. postgres & rootty, my unprivileged =
user), but noone more. How do I do this?

>PS. You keep on appearing to confuse the notion of free data >blocks with
>free inodes. They're not the same thing: they are two distinct >resources
>and your filesystem can run out of either pretty much >independently.

  inode(5) descrbes inodes as a table of block addresses kinda FAT but with=
 variable block sizes inodes point to. That is.

--
=D3=EA=F0=EF=EE=F1=F2 - =EF=F0=EE=E4=E2=E8=ED=F3=F2=E0=FF =EF=EE=F7=F2=E0. =
http://www.ukrpost.net/