Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 21:45:23 +0200
From:      Robert Jesacher <jessy@sicha.net>
To:        Chris St Denis <chris@smartt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AAC driver. No kernel error messages for failed raid5?

On 06.05.2008, at 22:02, Ed Maste wrote:

> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:44:02PM -0700, Chris St Denis wrote:
>
>> I pulled out one of the raid5 drives to test the functionality and
>> noticed that FreeBSD didn't seem to notice the disk failure at all. I
>> was expecting kernel messages about it, but got nothing.
>
> This is missing functionality in the aac(4) driver.  For now about
> the best you can do is regularly poll the status using Adaptec's CLI
> tool "arcconf."
>
> -ED

The tool you need to look into is: sysutils/aaccli . I think arctool
is only for arcmsr-devices.
unfortunately aaccli doesn't provide the possibility to use it with
parameters, so you probably
need to use it with an expect-script.

On the adaptec 2410SA I activated the "alarm" feature in the
controller bios, which helps me,
because its a home server but this will not help you if your server is
sitting somewhere else.

Because of this limitation (and a few other things with the
controller) I'm certainly looking for
an other solution. In my case a ZFS-based software RAID will suffice,
but this might not be
desirable for you.

Take care & good luck,
Robert