Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:12:15 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV(8) manpage

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:34:57 +0100
> From: Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:40:32AM +0200, Jarkko Santala wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > > In message <20030323143507.GG36490@unixpages.org>, Christian Brueffer w=
> rites:
> 86)
> > >
> > > Right.
> >
> > Although it might be considered dragging old baggage around, would it
> > make sense to instead of zapping the man page completely write a new one
> > that would at least give a clue on how things are done these days?
> >
> > Otherwise unclued people might just think there's something wrong with
> > their system because the man page is missing and get even more confused.
> >
> > 	-jake
> >

> Well, people are supposed to read UPDATING before updating the system.
> UPDATING already has an entry about this, so has the handbook, the
> release notes etc.
>
> I think we can't really help people that don't read the recommended
> documentation.

I think POLA should apply to things like this (even across major
releases). MAKEDEV has been around for a long time and most folks are
used to it being there. It's simply something that most people assume
will be there on a Unix-like system.

Yes, people should read UPDATING and, better still, the release
notes. But taking the added step of having a simple man page with a
pointer to the devfs paper and saying that MAKEDEV is no more there will
avoid a lot of confusion.

The goal of documentation should not be to make it possible for
sophisticated users to use the system. It should make it as
easy as possible for all levels of users, including those new to Unix
and BSD to use the system.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)