Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:53:09 -0500
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
To:        <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "pop3 server has not responded in 60 seconds. Retry / abort?"

Leif,

    I see this once in a while. Seems that once in a while, OE would think
there was more coming to a specific message (completely downloaded), and
wait. The POP server sits and waits for mailer activity. It's a standoff,
and I've seen this on other mailservers as well, including NTMail, and
Imail..

    Often, the message holding things up, has an attachment. I usually wind
up manually going into the pop, and deleting the message.

    I haven't seen this in OE 5. Occasionally it would happen with some
Netscape Messenger versions too.

    With 5 tho, it will get it's messages mixed up a little, and download
much mail before aborting (saving messages) though not deleting them on the
server too, hehe.  The fix is, close all OE/IE crap (reboot is the most
likely way to guarentee this), then start OE, and "Compact all folders" from
the "File" menu.. Then redo the closing... Apon restart, all should be well
again.. This happens with Large mail folders. I get that with the folder I
put the CFTalk (Cold Fusion Developers list). It's up to about 17,000
messages, hehe.

    Of course there, you may wind up with several copies of a message
(scheduled autofetch), before you catch it, since it won't stop OE from
trying again as setup in refresh...

    Leave it to Microsloth, ehe.

Eric A. Griff

setjmp Software