Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 20:58:49 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, doug <doug@safeport.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi Boot question

5/23/2002 4:49:43 PM, doug <doug@safeport.com> wrote:

>yes - check the archives for problems dual booting win2k if you use
NTFS.
>My understanding is you can not do it because the partition table has
>a different format. Someone just pointed out a boot loader named
GRUB
>(http://www.forwardslashunix.com/grub/) that might help if your
>combination os OS's does not work with the standard FBSD loader.
>
>I have a system with DOS, Win2k (fat), and FreeBSD (all on one disk)
just
>worked with no tweaking at all.
>
>If you wanted to use NTFS for win2k, you could give it one disk and
have
>all the other ones on the other disk. Also note you can mount an NTFS
file
>system only in read-only mode.
>
>On Thu, 23 May 2002, Darryl Hoar wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I have a systemw with (2) 18GB SCSI drives in it.
>> I need to install Win98/Win2k Pro on one disk, and
>> Freebsd/linux on the second disk.
>>
>> Anybody have any pointers, gotchas that I should look
>> out for?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Darryl
>>
>> FreeBSD 4.4 (I have the CDROM set).

Doug, go ahead and convert to NTFS if you like - it's a much better
filesystem than FAT.  :-)

I think you may have gotten a misimpression from some complaints that
the boot list for BootEasy, FreeBSD's boot manager, shows an NTFS
filesystem as "???."  It'll boot NTFS just fine.  It's just that the numerical
ID for the NTFS filesystem (7), is the same as the numerical ID for
OS/2's HPFS (and QNX as well, IIRC).  Therefore BootEasy can't give it
a name, so it shows up as "???."

Grub and the NT bootloader will also boot both FreeBSD and NTFS.
You can configure either one rather easily to display the names you
want in the boot list.

The FAQ on the FreeBSD web site has instructions for configuring the
NT bootloader to boot NT and FreeBSD.  Booting FreeBSD from the
same disk is easier than booting it from a different disk.  There may be
other reasons to pair FreeBSD with one of the Win OSs and Linux with
the other, rather than putting both Wins on the same disk.  For instance,
dual booting both Wins from a single disk in the fashion recommended
by Microsoft puts Win2K in an extended partition whether you prefer it
that way or not.

Jud