Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:34:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@temphost.dragondata.com>
To:        trevor@jpj.net (Trevor Johnson)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, toasty@dragondata.com
Subject:   Re: Joe's Own Editor File Link Vulnerability (fwd)

> I've gotten no response to the appended message.
>
> I installed joe from the current ports collection, a few minutes ago, and
> was able to confirm the bug.
>
> The Linux people (Red Hat, Immunix, Mandrake, and Debian) have released
> patched versions, but I haven't looked at their patches.
>
> Would it be all right if I marked the port forbidden (mentioning
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/145305), until the maintainer
> becomes available?
> --
> Trevor Johnson
> http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt

If you fowarded this to me before, it must have gotten lost during my many
server moves over the past couple of months, I apologize.

I'll send an e-mail to the author of Joe an e-mail about this, but from my
past experiences with him, he's quite busy with other projects and may not
have time for a complete new version immediately. I'll come up with a quick
patch for now to include, that one of you can verify for accuracy (if
desired) to include in our local port patches.

Thanks,

Kevin