Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:17:46 GMT
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disabling kern.securelevel?

Hi,

I understand the benefits of running with kern.securelevel > 0 but
I am finding that it gets in the way when applying patches.

Is there any way, other than reboot, to change kern.securelevel back
to 0?

I've been doing some security updates recently and I've had to do
the following:

1) Disable securelevel in /etc/rc.conf
2) Reboot
3) Install patches (for files with schg set)
4) Enable securelevel in /etc/rc.conf
5) Reboot

Two reboots seems excessive. I can understand the need to do one if
libc or the kernel has been updated.

Is there another way?

Regards,
Neil Darlow.

--
1024D/531F9048 1999-09-11 Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
Key fingerprint =3D 359D B8FF 6273 6C32 BEAA  43F9 E579 E24A 531F 9048