Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:46:09 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Michael Smith on Thu, 24 July:
> : Tony Kimball stands accused of saying:
> : >
> : > I wish.  SCSI is hopeless these days.  About 3-5x the price
> : > of IDE.
> :
> : Actually, you should go back and look at what SCSI drive prices are
> : doing at the moment.  I can get a 5400 RPM 4GB ultra scsi IBM disk for
> : less than 30% more than the corresponding IDE model.  IBM's pricing is
> : pretty keen at the moment.
>
> This 'corresponding IDE model' argument has been used before.  I find
> it utterly specious.  There is no SCSI model which corresponds to the
> IDE disk drives I actually buy.  I know that can buy a 6.4G 3.5"
> Seagate for ~$350.  The closest match I know in SCSI is a Micropolis
> 8.7G for $1300.  That's one big gap. If you know of a 3.5" SCSI drive
> offering >5G which is competetive in price with the Seagate drive, I'd
> like to know, because I'd like to buy it.

If you're in the US (sorry Mike), I see in Dirt Cheap Drives' latest ad
(August 97) that they have the Quantum FB36480S (6448MB, 5400 RPM, 10ms)
SCSI drive for only US$565.  That's a much smaller gap, and a pretty
tempting price.

Anyone have anything bad (or good) to say about this particular drive?

Gary Corcoran