Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:04:06 +0100
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel/userland ssh filesystem for FreeBSD?

Hi,

as you might know, both kde (via kio-fish) and gnome (via gnome virtual
file system) provide a userland filesystem-like API that allows to "mount" a
remote filesystem using ssh. What I don't like about those solutions is
that they require the application to use a particular API (kio slave or
gnome vfs).

Another approach, that provides a real filesystem interface, is the
Linux Userspace File System.

Quoting from http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/intro.html:

    LUFS is a hybrid userspace filesystem framework supporting an indefinite
    number of filesystems transparently for any application. It consists of
    a kernel module and an userspace daemon. Basically it delegates most of
    the VFS calls to a specialized daemon which handles them.

Now the question: if I wanted to do something similar for FreeBSD, how
would I do it? Any high-level hints?

thanks
Marco