Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:38:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where did we lurn to spel?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> On 04/28/16 16:36, Warren Block wrote:

>>> textproc/igor finds many mistakes, and works on text files, man pages,
>>> DocBook, and HTML.  Use of either of these tools is optional, though.
>>>
>>> Note: in sys/arm/at91/if_atereg.h, it missed "deines"->"defines".
>>

> Yes, I haven't really reviewed them beyond the initial replacement.
> The changes kept growing and growing and I had to stop.
>
>> Oh, and many of these are contractions, which should be avoided anyway.
>
> Well the main questions are ...
>
> 1) Should someone brave just go ahead and commit massively
> such cleanups?

It is tempting.

> 2) Is there a clever review process to go through these?
> Phabricator with documentation team, or assume common
> sense?

In comments, obvious errors don't need any review.  I saw one change in
there that changed "safe" to "safely", but the original might have been
meant as "-safe", like "multiuser-safe".

Those types of changes should be reviewed, and also changes that are not
to comments, like the output in the last batch.  Maybe the original
printf output was meant to line up.

> 3) There are many common issues: is "thru" something we should
> accept in comments. How about dont vs don't ?

The old "be generous in what you accept and strict in what you produce"
saying can apply.  The code is what we produce, and comments should be
as good as we can make them.  "Thru" is difficult to justify.  "Dont"
and "cant" could be from trying to avoid an apostrophe.  Just spelling
out the words instead of using the contraction solves the problem.

We have found in other documentation that bad sections are often copied
and pasted as templates.  Fixing them avoids later, bigger fixes.