Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 00:58:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        pgl@ti.cz
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hot Swappable Drives in FreeBSD

pgl@ti.cz wrote,

> I've been asked to evaluate an HP Netserver LC3 by my company, and I
> want to put FreeBSD on it.
>
> I can install it fine off of the floppies, but when I reboot, I get
> "Read error" on the screen - not even the bit where you can choose a
> kernel. I'm guessing this is something to do with the boot loader not
> being installed properly.

Sounds like a good guess.

> The drive it's using is a 9Gb SCSI supplied
> by HP, and it's hot-swappable, ie I'm supposed to be able to take it
> out and replace it whenever I like and the machine won't fail. There's
> only one drive in there at the moment. When installing, it gets
> recognised as da0.

OK, the drive is recognized. If it in place while the boot starts and
you don't yank at any point, I don't think that the hot-swappable
feature would have anything directly to do with the problem.

> Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to get round this for
> ages, and I can't find anything online about it (maybe I'm looking
> in the wrong places?). Does anyone have any experience with this, or
> can anyone tell me what to do? Am I just missing something obvious?
> Do I need to have a fixed drive too boot off?

The drive in question _is_ the primary or secondary boot device as
specified in the BIOS? Is the disk DOS-style partitioned or
"dangerously dedicated?"

I have had trouble with BIOS settings on machines where the third boot
device is not found (I set the primary to be floppy and secondary to
be CDROM when installing FreeBSD, then things won't boot of the newly
setup disk until I put it back in front of the CDROM). I have also had
two machines that did not seem to like dangerously dedicated disks. In
both cases, I have blamed the BIOS and just worked around it.