Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:38:27 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Robin P. Blanchard" <robin.blanchard@georgiacenter.org>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cyrus / sasl / ldap woes

From: "Robin P. Blanchard" <robin.blanchard@georgiacenter.org> on 08/19/2002
> > From: "Robin P. Blanchard" <robin.blanchard@georgiacenter.org> on
08/19/2002

> >>freshly installed -STABLE with freshly installed ports:
> >>
> >>cyrus-imapd-2.0.16_3
> >>cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_6
> >>db3-3.2.9_3,1
> >>makedepend-2000.12.28
> >>openldap-2.0.25
> >>

> >>anyone else using the combo of ports? any success with the current revs?
> >>

> Ok...took the new/broken box and removed cyrus-imapd-2.0.16_3 and
> cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_6. pkg_tarup'ed older versions from working/production
> server. Force pkg_added them (to use new openldap-2.0.25 libs -- so,
> problem is not related to ldap rev). SASL is again talking to LDAP.
> So...when things got broken? Not sure. But it's (sasl and/or cyrus-imap)
> certainly currently broken.
>
> And now back to the real problem...Hopefully getting cyrus/sasl to auth
> against AD as opposed to openldap.

I finally had a chance to fully test all 3 LDAP pwcheck_methods (saslauthd,
pwcheck (pwcheck_pam), ldap) available for the cyrus-sasl port.  Using the
following ports:

cyrus-imapd-2.0.16_3
cyrus-sasl-1.5.27_6
db3-3.2.9_3,1
makedepend-2000.12.28
openldap-2.0.25
pam_ldap-1.5.0

The only trouble I had was setting up the pam_ldap module to be used with
the saslauthd and pwcheck_pam daemons.  As the pkg-message for the pam_ldap
port specifies to only add an "auth" line to the appropriate pam files.
With existing users (password was changed so that /etc/master.passwd != LDAP
password), using either the /etc/master.passwd or LDAP password I could
login.  But it wouldn't work with a user only in LDAP.  When I added the
"account" entry for pam_ldap.so, the LDAP only user was able to log into
both imap and pop servers.

I have updated the cyrus-sasl port to install an example pam service file
(see ${EXAMPLESDIR}/cyrus.pam).

        http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/42153

I had no problem with cyrus-imapd when configuring imapd.conf with:

    sasl_pwcheck_method: ldap

    sasl_ldap_server: localhost
    sasl_ldap_basedn: dc=westbend,dc=net
    sasl_ldap_uidattr: uid
    sasl_ldap_port: 389
    sasl_ldap_ssl: no
    sasl_ldap_filter_mode:  yes
    sasl_ldap_filter: (objectClass=posixAccount)
    sasl_ldap_bind_dn: cn=Manager,dc=westbend,dc=net
    sasl_ldap_bind_pw: xxxxxxxx
    sasl_ldap_alias_deref: n

Scot W. Hetzel

p.s. I probably could have removed a few of the sasl_ldap_* options, as they
would have used the compiled in default setting.