Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 22:04:34 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel: who calls xyz_attach() during initialization?

Hi, I'm tracking down a problem in some pseudo device stuff in
the kernel that will get stuck in the initializaton phase and
not go any further. I thought there was some code generated by
config(8) that would contain all the calls to the xyz_attach()
routines. I did find ioconf.c but that only contains real
devices. So, where is that magic list of pseudo devices? I
need to know in what order they are attached and so I need
to find where it hangs. It's too bad that pseudo-devices and
other things don't write initialization messages or that there
isn't one flag that could be set on that would cause all
XYZ_DEBUG options to be set. Is there a way to use the DDB and
then do some BREAK to get into debugger mode once the kernel
hangs? But I'm not even sure the hardware isn't all screwed up
at that point...

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine