Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:00:28 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very stupid PCI and IRQ question

> Does it matter if I have several devices using the same interrupt number
if
> all those devices are on the pci bus ? I've just build a new machine, and
in
> the boot messages see the USB system and network card both reported with
irq
> 11. If it does, how do I get them on different irq's ? Does FreeBSD permit
> irq sharing ?

Provided that your hardware (properly) supports IRQ sharing, then FreeBSD
will support it without problems.

If you start to notice problems (crashes, problems using devices, FreeBSD
not detecting certain devices) then it's time to go into your BIOS and
fiddle with the features that control IRQ sharing and PnP operation there.

--
Matt Emmerton
GSI Computer Services