Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 11:37:25 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seeing jumpy mice?

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :> No, I don't mean rodents who've nibbled on chocolate-covered expresso
> :> beans, I mean PS/2 mice which fall victim to this new problem:
> :
> :> May 19 00:50:45 zippy /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c0 != 0000).
> :
>     I got an email from Boris Popov in regards to getting more silo
>     overflows after the SMP cleanup patch then before.
>
>     One thing the patch removed was the hack that allowed certain interrupts
>     (tty interrupts) to run in parallel with the supervisor.
>
>     Now, I must say, that there is no way we are going to add that hack back
>     in ... it was a real mess and is simply not worth it, and when we
>     move to the interrupt threading model we can truely make the serial
>     interrupt SMP-safe and do away with the issue once and for all.

	What is interesting in this case, is that this is the only active
serial port on this machine. And it is behind my understanding why PII-350
can not process interrupts when the come at 11Khz rate max (and machine
idles most of the time).

	While I'm agreed that SMP patch cleanup many things and welcomed
in the -current branch, I'm unsure about RELENG_4 though (in the context
of this particular breakage).

>     I don't know if the mouse problems are related or not, did anyone have
>     jumpy-mouse problems before the SMP cleanup was committed? (i.e. in
>     kernels then two weeks old for 4.0, and four weeks old for 5.0).

	The PS/2 mouse works fine on my box.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/