Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 23:40:32 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

David writes:

> If you take a closer look at those Linux
> deployments, you'll see that Redhat overwhelmingly
> dominates.

I've already noticed that, and it worries me.  Perhaps many other Linux fans are naïve enough to believe that companies like Red Hat
are just kind, altruistic folk who seek to better society by providing a vehicle for peacful, loving, free software, but they look
to me like any other software company, grasping for cash and trying to find ways to acquire it in the easiest and fastest way
possible.

> Looking closer at Redhat you'll see several
> qualities that appeal to the corporate buyer
> and deployer: comfortable installation,
> distributed package management, large and
> seemingly stable company, well known name,
> fewer abrasive advocates, etc.

The same qualities, in fact, that put Microsoft in a position of leadership.

And I think you'll find that Red Hat has or will develop the same flaws as well: a tendency to lock customers into proprietary
solutions, a tendency to overcharge for products, a tendency to work hard to discourage anything that endangers its proprietary
revenue generators or calls them into question.  All software companies are that way.

> I was a student in the early '80s, way before
> Windows 3.0. When the Mac first came out I
> predicted that it would quickly fail. My reasoning
> was sound.

I thought the Mac was destined to succeed, but I was wrong, too.  I didn't realize just how poor Apple management really was.

> And now the Mac has the best consumer hardware
> in the world ...

And the most expensive, too.

> ... and runs a BSD based OS.

But Apple charges a lot for the blobs of extra code they added to it.  (See Red Hat and Microsoft, above.)