Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:05:23 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Stormy Henderson <stormy@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chat script for dialing pppd

Stormy Henderson writes:
> A happy camper (David Kelly, dkelly@HiWAAY.net) once wrote...
> > But now my chat script for dialing pppd broke.
> >
> > Now have it working well enough to dial out but for some reason it
> > takes 19 seconds before the modem dials. Confirmed with ps that chat is
> > rnning
>
> Me too...with 3.0-19981123-SNAP and 3.0-CURRENT kernel of 11/28.  I've
> tried chat scripts as simple as "'' atz" and it still delays.

Had other problems too, minor in comparision. Quiting exmh, the window
hung. Then on revisiting the xterm exmh was started from found a
message, "Process stopped, awaiting tty input" or some such.
Foregrounding the exmh process allowed it to finish.

The cure to both exmh and chat?

# cd /usr/src
# cvs -q checkout -D 11/16/98 sys
# cvs -q checkout -D 11/16/98 lkm

Then build and install new kernel and lkm's.