Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:35:23 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Laptop without Windows

	If they did that... they'd have to... *gasp* hire folks that know what
they're doing.  After driving to an interview in Nashville (where the newest
Dell plant is), I was told flat out that they wouldn't hire me because I
knew too much.  *shakes his head and takes the chip off his shoulder*

> As the original poster said, this is all about consumer demands,
> and nothing
> about what Microsoft is demanding.  Look at how Microsoft is releasing
> Microsoft Office for MacOS X - it's because whatever their faults, the Mac
> users are at least smart enough to start screaming at vendors who don't
> support them.

	I think that also has something to do with the fact that Microsoft owns a
good sized stake in Apple... Hmm...

> The problem with most of the Linux and FreeBSD
> users is that
> if the manufacturer (Dell, Compaq, etc.) doesen't clearly offer support,
> instead of complaining to the company about it, the users go off and hit
> up support forums and the like, or bash through it themselves.

	That's because your average FreeBSD user is going to have the knowledge
required to either work through it themselves or be able to find a resource
to solve the problem.

	Gotta remember, with the widespread sale of PCs these days, even the
average Joe or Jane on the street has one... and that average person is
computer illiterate.  Kind of interesting how the more computer literate
folks are, the further their preferred OS diverges from the Microsoft
offerings... *grins*

> If 20% of Dell users are purchasing Dell laptops then throwing
> away Windows
> and running BSD on them, how is Dell supposed to know about this if the
> users
> don't speak up?!?!

	Good point...

--- Andy