Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:41:29 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

[striimed cc: list]

MD>     I would like mergemaster a whole lot more if:
MD>
MD>     (1) It just overwrote system files that users are not supposed to
MD> 	change anyway, like files in /etc/defaults and the /etc/rc*
MD> 	files.
MD>
MD>     (2) It cleared the window before each presentation, so I don't
MD> 	have to search around the window to find the filename and/or
MD> 	diff that it's currently asking me to do something about
MD> 	(this is especially annoying for small files).
MD>
MD>     (3) It didn't try to display the whole diff initially, causing
MD> 	a pipe-to-(less or more) that I then have to quit out of
MD> 	before I can tell it to install / delete.  Blech.
MD>
MD>     Sorry, just venting.  Mergemaster is just one of those programs
MD>     which does important things but goes about it in an unbelievably
MD>     annoying and unobvious fashion.

FWIW, I, for last year, run mergemaster in a way like

env PAGER=cat EDITOR=vi /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster -i

(EDITOR=vi as I have alias vi=>vim), and saved a lot of time. I suppose, I'd
save a bit more if I'd paid more attention to mergemaster's environment, but I
still did not spend enough time to dig into ;-)

Possibly, even more useful idea would be uto use diff3 to compare
- standard state of /etc before upgrade (held at, e.g., /var/backups/etc/...)
- new state as under /usr/src/etc
- working state as of /etc

However, I still did not found timeframe to think about this more precisely....

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]