Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:02:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will 8 Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100's be a problem?

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Don Lewis wrote:

> On Jun 26,  5:47pm, Chris Dillon wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Will 8 Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100's be a problem?
> } On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> }
> } > On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 11:03:01AM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
> } > > On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Atipa wrote:
>
> } > > I'm rather hoping that three 133MB/sec PCI busses won't have any trouble
> } > > passing at max about 30MB/sec worth of data (10MB/sec per card, three
> } > > cards per bus).  Theoretically even one PCI bus could handle all 8 of
> } > > those cards.. _theoretically_... :-)
> } >
> } > Double that number, Full Duplex is what you usual now use in routers.
> } > I also wouldn't say the single bus is the problem, but the main PCI bus and
> } > the CPU will be a bottleneck. You will definatly not be able to run 8
> } > cards at full speed (8 x 10Mbyte/sec x 2 (FullDuplex) = 160 MByte/sec)
>
> You can only use Full Duplex if the port is connected directly to another
> host or to a switch.  From the initial description it sounded like each
> port would be connected to a number of other hosts through a hub, which
> would require Half Duplex to be used.

Actually, I AM connecting these to a switch.  After travelling through
several kilometers of fiber in a couple of instances. :-)  Fact is, good
100Mbit cards are cheaper than most good 10Mbit cards I have seen, and our
switches all have at least one 100Mbit port on them.  I'd be happy with
10Mbit, but 100Mbit is costing me so little more for at least double the
bandwidth, up to a theoretical 10x the bandwidth. The only extra expense
will be the Fast Ethernet media converters for the fiber runs, since they
are definately more expensive than 10Mbit versions.  We are having a guy
get us some prices on some converters that will let us do two 100Mbit
Ethernet channels and four(?) T1's across one pair of fiber.  Considering
our fiber has been donated and we have a rather limited number of pairs to
work with between some of our buildings (and more than we'll ever need
between others), I like this idea. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */