Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:30:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Maziar Momeni <mmomeni@gmu.edu>
Cc:        BSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation Issue

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Maziar Momeni wrote:

> I hope I'm in the right forum for this...
>
> Potentially easy question:  We're trying to install release 2.2.7 via
> FTP and are having some problems.  System boots and offers the setup
> program.  Go through the novice option and answer all the questions.
> Select FTP as the install method.  Then it prompts for protocol and all
> that is offered is PPP or SLIP.  We have an ethernet card installed
> (Netgear FA310txc) which falls under the DECchip 21140 series which I'm
> fairly sure was supported and it doesn't recognise it.  Are we doing
> something wrong or is there somewhere we can pass the options for the
> card?

How old is this card?  Netgear just changed their NIC chipset to a newer,
unsupported chip type.  They way to check is at the main menu, hit scroll
lock, then arrow up to the PCI device probes.  If there's a device of type
ethernet or network with no driver assigned, you have a new card and are
SOL.  Try to get an older card if possible.  If you can still get the
Kingston KNE100TX cards are 21140 based.

A driver is in development for the new chipset.  It should have a 2.2
version available. Of course you have to install first :)

Doug White