Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 07:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        neil@darlow.co.uk (Neil Darlow)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling kern.securelevel?

	I ran into the same issue.  It's good that a higher secure level
changing certain files(example the kernel) impossible, but if it is your
own box, then this can really get in the way if you recompile your kernel
often.  Two solutions, possibly(for kernels that is).

Boot into single user and then back into the system after commenting out
the appropriate comments in rc.conf.  This is much faster than a full
reboot.

Move the new kernel you compiled into the / directory by hand and give it
another descriptive name.  You would have to reboot to use it anyway, but
at least you should be able to leave the secure level  alone.

	I havn't tried the last one but it seems plausible.  Good luck.

Ian

In the last episode, Neil Darlow stated...