Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:04:50 -0800
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Reyenga <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network is crazy slow in DP2

Craig Reyenga wrote:
> Yesterday I installed 5.0-DP2 without problems, however my 100mbit link
> to my desktop computer goes extremely slowly using HTTP, FTP or SMB and
> proabably others. I used to be able to tranfer files using FTP at over
> 7.9MB/sec in 4.7 but now the best that I can do is 800KB/sec. When I
> look at 'top' it appears that the computer isn't even "trying" i.e. the
> cpu usage is very low.
> The network adapter in question is a Realtek 8139B. The problem exists
> in polling or non-polling mode.

Are you seeing this performance problems both in send and receive mode ?
Can you give us a bit more info about your environment, like the type of
cards at both ends, the output of ifconfig <interface> (to check if the
interface successfully negotiated a 100MB link), dmesg, etc...  Also,
-CURRENT debugging malloc flags may be relevant though that's truly a
huge performance loss...

Can you confirm that these problems arise whatever protocol/software you
use to transfer data ?

Thanks in advance,
Maxime