Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:05:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Kujawski <adamkuj@gatordog.com>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange fetchmail/freebsd/verio problem

I wonder if it might be an MTU problem of some sort. I've seen a similar
problem before that was caused by bad firmware on a switch. The switch was
dropping packets over 1428 bytes or something like that (I remember it
was just under the normal size for an ethernet frame..). You could login,
because the username/password prompt use relativly small packets. However,
as soon as you logged and did anything that sent a larger amound of data
(i.e. ls, top, netstat..) the connection would freeze. Similarly, you
could load very small web pages, but anything over a kb or so wouldn't
load.

Try pinging/tracerouting to your servers with larger and larger packet
lengths.

Good luck,
Adam