Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:01:36 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        shocking@houston.rr.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gravis Ultrasound PnP

Stephen Hocking writes:
> > I have an AOpen (Crystal Semiconductor based) ISA card that I've been
> > meaning to climb under the desk and install. To replace a Yamaha 714 or
> > 724 piece of junk that I unplugged the speakers from long time ago.
> >
> > My junk Yamaha makes more noise thru the speakers than several hard
> > drives and fans combinded.
> >
> > Bought the AOpen AW35 or AW37 (I forget as it seems like it has the
> > CSxx37 or CSxx35 part number, switched from the AW number) as oldpcm
> > said it was supported and the CS web site had very attractive
> > documentation.
> >

> My ISA card (the one that was giving me problems) is an AW35/AW37. The Yamaha
> seems very quiet. I just cranked the speakers up as load as they'd go & got no
> noise.

Oh yeah? But I only paid $5 for my Yamaha.  :-)

Actually I pulled the AW35/37 (the cheap one) as the sound it produced
under FreeBSD was badly wrong. As if it were running an ADPCM codec and
being fed PCM or something. Spent a fair amount of time admiring the
documentaion and trying my hand at hacking things into the driver.
There was an init sequence I think was wrong but my work neither
improved or hurt anything so I abandonded it.

Bought the Yamaha card. It played! It sounded terrible. The AOpen card
claimed CS's standard 85db S/N ratio. The Yamaha S/N ratio was about
10db according to my ears.

They can't all be as bad as mine else Yamaha would get laughed into
oblivion.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net