Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:53:14 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Chern Lee <chern@meow.osd.bsdi.com>, <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unix Plural

At 18:30 2001-07-16 -0700, Chern Lee wrote:
>Officially, what should it be?  I changed "UNIX's" to Unixes today,
>I've seen Unixes at least one other place in the Handbook.  Common English
>sense has me saying "Unices" (ie: Indices, and the like).

Index is a Latin word. Its genitive (in Latin) is indicis. Its word
stem is "indic" as can also be seen in such words as "indicative".

No such thing can be said about Unix. It is an English word, despite
it being inspired by the Latin "unus" (one). There is no such thing
as "unicative" or whatever.

Add to it that it really makes little sense to talk about a plural
when it comes to Unix. If anything, you can talk of "Unix systems",
or "versions of Unix", or "Unix clones", or "implementations of
Unix", and such.

IMHO, you should try to find an expression like these rather than
using a plural form of Unix. But, if all else fails, go with Unixes,
the proper English plural of an English word ending in 'x'.

However, if we start writing about Unixes instead of varieties of
Unix, we may as well start using "can't", "won't", and "it's".
We may also be infringing on a trademark.

Cheers,
Adam

---
http://phonecowboy.com/registrar/twist/ finds a good domain for you