Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:13:59 +1200
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (was: ssh + compiled-in SKEY support considered harmful?)

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:34:52PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> Well, yes.  But I've been using X for 11 years.  Why should I have to
> read the man page to find changes?  How do I know which man page to
> read?  If I did that for everything that happened, I wouldn't get any
> work done.  And you can bet your bottom dollar that somebody coming
> from another UNIX variant and trying out FreeBSD won't do so.  They'll
> just say that it's broken and wander off again.

FWIW, I would be extremly pissed about this myself, I just happen to
not having installed 4.5 myself yet, for other reasons. I thought there
was a policy of the least surprise, it might have been to kernel code,
but should be applied here as well.

The system has to work right away, when installed out of the box. Period.
No when's and if's. And don't tell me that X11 is an add-on and luxury.
We are living in the 21st century.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>