Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:54:39 -0600
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network problems with 3.2R as VMWare Guest OS

I've been running 3.2R as a VMWare for NT (0.80 beta, build 217) "guest" OS.

All seems well with the exception that the network seems to die occasionally
(no messages in /var/log/messages, I just can't access any other hosts on
the network).

The VMWare virtual network adapter is recognized as,

	lnc1: <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 0x10 int a irq 9 on pci0.16.0
	lnc1: PCnet-PCI II address 00:50:56:81:11:24

I can solve this with a simple,

	% ifconfig lnc1 down
	% ifconfig lnc1 up

Has anyone else experienced this? I suspect a problem in the VMWare virtual
network adapter or the NT driver it installed.

Charles

Charles F. Randall
crandall@matchlogic.com
MatchLogic, Inc.