Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:16:49 -0600
From:      Chris Conn <cmc3list-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving FreeBSD for Linux - Please Don't Hurt Me

I use both... Slackware Linux 10 on a dual boot PII (with
Win98) and FreeBSD 5.3 on a standalone PIII. I started
with FreeBSD 2.4 because somebody at work (AIX Technical
Support) said I should try it and that it was a lot like
AIX. A couple of years later I added a Slackware partition
on the PII and then eventually got this standalone box for
FreeBSD. I have a lot of respect for Patrick and the job
he does with Slackware and the community is great too.

Practically I use my FreeBSD box because one of the kids
(out of 3) is always dominating the Win98 part of the PII
and this box is mine mine mine :-). My setup is almost
identical on both boxes, using Window Maker as my desktop
and running most of the same stuff. The other box has a
bigger monitor and more disk space, but I'm planning on
doubling the memory in this one from 256 to 512MB. And
I'd like to add a DVD drive to this box too, catch up
on some of my movies (since the kids dominate the TV too).

This isn't a conflict to me... I support AIX (so that's
my professional OS) and my recreational OS's are FreeBSD
and Linux. With this caveat: if Slackware weren't around
I don't know if I would spend much time with Linux. I chose
it because I find it very much like FreeBSD. I have
friends at work who use Gentoo and like it, and there are
a lot of IBM DeveloperWorks papers that are written based
on Gentoo.

BTW if I may make a shameless plug, as someone said earlier :-)

I have a small FreeBSD Users list, trying to build up our
membership a little. We have about 40 members now and it's
small and informal, would like to get more people onboard.
Topics are open, chat or technical, whatever. Sign up if you're
interested, newbies are welcome. It's a bunch of FreeBSD users
who get together, not part of (or meant to compete with) the
regular FreeBSD lists. Here's the link: