Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:07:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two routers back to back: Do they need real ip-adresses?

>> We had to put in a cisco 1605 router (with 2 ethernet ports) between our
>> net and our isp supplying our backbone connection.
>> The "ethernet", which is only a crossed 10BT cable between the two
>> routers, does it need real ip adresses?
> You can't use unnumbered on broadcast media aka ethernet, so you need to
> assign addresses to the interfaces, but these can be RFC1918 addresses,
> that is if your ISP is willing to accept this.

You shouldn't use private addresses either, this will break Path MTU
Discovery if any filters exist between a client and your network.

Ripping four addresses from your /24 shouldn't pose much of a problem.
Turn off proxy-arp on the Ethernet interface where that /24 is attached to
and you have the added benefit of people not being able to access those IP
addresses directly.

	-- Niels.