Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:05:17 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harry Potter and the Disappearing Disklabel

Wesley Morgan wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Steve Kargl wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:41:56AM -0500, Wesley Morgan wrote:
> > >
> > > I've seen one post similar to this, but not much else. I think maybe the
> > > UFS2 problem had to do with Kirk's recent changes, but the disklabel
> > > issue... I'm wary to reboot my machine! What in the hell could be causing
> > > this? I'm tempted to point the finger at GEOM, but hate to say anything
> > > like that.
> >
> > Are your world and kernel in sync (post-kirk commit)?
>
> They are now, but were not before. However I fail to see what world has to
> do with disappearing disklabels between boots. Unless specifically asked
> to, nothing except the kernel should ever read it (at least, I am guessing
> this).

Well, after that commit, UFS2 partitions on the first mount would be
_changed_, to a slightly different format that ought to have a longer
life. Now, I don't know if the modifications are done by kernel or
userland, but out of synch kernel/world can have two results:

1) Kernel expects an UFS2 partition whose format is slightly different
than what it is.

2) fsck expects an UFS2 partition whose format is slightly different
than what it is.

Nothing good can come out of any of these.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Fundamentalist Debianites, core children of the Linuxen....
        sounds like it could come from the Book of Mormon, or Tolkien on
	a bad day..."