Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:46:03 -0400
From:      "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dump directly to remote HDD over ssh

Number of smaller servers, current doing dumps to secondary drives each night.
Extra copies are then rsync'd to a big storage server for long term archive

<-- currently -->
dump -0u -a -f /backup/usr /usr
rsync -v /backup/usr \
   destination.server:/backups/server1/usr.0.`date +%Y%m%d`.dump
</-- currently -->

What we want to do is eliminate the need for the secondary drive if need be, and
do the dump directly over to the big storage server where we can then archive
all the "images" from the one drive.

Am lookiung at something like this, can someone sanity check the syntax for me
please?

<--untested code -->
dump -0 -u -f- /usr | ssh server1@destination.server \
   cat - > /backups/server1/usr.0.`date +%Y%m%d`.dump
</-- untested code -->

thanks

Dave