Date:      21 Feb 2001 16:49:09 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, genisis@istar.ca
Subject:   Re: cron mail

genisis@istar.ca (Dru) writes:

> On 21 Feb 2001, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > I don't have my copy at hand, but I'm *sure* that the book did not
> > advise you to type "crontab /etc/crontab".
> >
> > It is, nonetheless, a frequently asked question.  See
> > http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#ROOT-NOT-FOUND-CRON-ERRORS
>
> Actually, it does on page 156 of the second edition.
>
> "crontab crontab" installs a crontab that you've created with an
> editor. This step is unnecessary if you edit the crontab directly using
> "crontab -e" as this switch invokes the vi editor for you then updates the
> crontab accordingly.

You appear to be confused about the difference between "crontab crontab"
and "crontab /etc/crontab".  /etc/crontab is not, as you claimed, a
"crontab that you've created with an editor."  It's a very different
file, with a slightly different format, and completely inappropriate
for installation with the crontab command.  I repeat that I am *sure*
that Greg Lehey never advised typing "crontab /etc/crontab".  [I don't
have that edition to check, but I'm still completely confident.]