Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 18:01:05 -0400
From:      Carl Schmidt <carl@slackerbsd.org>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: NASA's Operating System?]

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 05:11:39PM -0400, Andrew C. Hornback wrote:
>=20
> Hmm,
>=20
> 	And I bet you'd probably want to blame the Challenger Tragedy on the fact
> that the Space Shuttle is run by 3 IBM System/36 machines.
>=20
> 	The Pentium Pro is only what, 5-6 years old?  I guess you're saying that
> since there's a new WhizBang 2000 out that the US Navy should be running =
the
> WhizBang 2000, and should toss out the old WhizBang 1000 models?  The
> division by zero problem was a programming error, not a hardware error, a=
nd
> you're not going to find a piece of software out there without errors,
> period.
>=20
> 	How do you know that they didn't buy that system back in 95-96 when the
> PPro was brand new and cutting edge?  Why are you assuming that it was ju=
st
> purchased, since the problem just cropped up?
>=20
> 	This kind of sarcasm about how things should be done coming from someone
> that's probably never served a day in a uniform in their life.  I'm sorry,
> but I don't like it one bit.
>=20
> --- Andy
> P.S. You should sleep better knowing that you're protected by the best.
>=20

Although I do agree that the previous argument about the ppro is rather stu=
pid
I don't really think the bit about the person ever serving is necessary.

People are allowed to draw opinions on things they've never done before. It=
's
almost impossible not to do so. Ever jump out of a plane? I haven't. I think
it's nuts though because I don't want to splatter all over the ground. It's
a very loose analogy but I think you can figure it out. I have never done A
but I understand what goes on with A and therefore I draw a conclusion or t=
wo

Many people do not wish to serve because they don't believe in war or they
are just unable to -- like me. I tried getting into the Marines and the Army
but was disqualified due to asthma. Go figure. But that's actually great for
me now because I do not want to be in the military. I'd sleep a lot better
knowing we didn't have the ability to kill each other at the press of a but=
ton
or the pulling of a trigger or whatever else you care to do. You can always
kill someone with your bare hands but that is somewhat harder then sitting =
in
your nice little country and sending out the command to drop a bomb on some=
one
just because.

Okay so most of that isn't related but it's about how I feel towards the
military. It's a necessary evil these days. The fact that it's necessary
just fucking sucks but that's the way it is. "Military intelligence -- still
two words that can't make sense." -- Megadeth - The World Needs a Hero

This is -questions so I digress on the topic of the military and hope the
thread dies in that respect.
--=20
Carl Schmidt
Just like the pied piper led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes swaying to the symphony of destruction
http://slackerbsd.org/

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--