Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:52:54 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gregory Swain <gregoryswain@earthlink.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Trademark

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 01:47:11AM -0500, Gregory Swain wrote:
> I am writing a book on troubleshooting Mac OS X and want to properly
> attributed the FreeBSD trademark.  I note on the following page:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/trademarks.html
>
> It states:
>
> "FreeBSD is a registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. This is
> expected to change soon."
>
> How soon?  Very soon, i.e. within days or weeks? Please let me know
> ASAP as I am trying to finish the book.

I recommend the text as it is on our website (in fact, the text from
the website was taken from the recently published Complete FreeBSD 4th
Edition).  It has been expected to change "soon" for over a year.  I
have made tens of phone calls and sent countless emails to WRS in the
past few months and I'm still hounding them about this.  They have
stated publically that they will transfer the trademark to the
foundation, but they are really dragging there feet about it.

       - Murray