Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:57:46 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Krzysztof Adamski" <kadamski@netsurf.net>
Cc:        <portmaster-users@portmasters.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (PM) Infrastructure Design with Portmasters and FreeBSD/Zebra (long)

OK, thanks for the heads up.  I think that what you are cautioning against
is that the `ICMP can't fragment' message will not be returned over the
Internet to a sender with an RFC1918 address (particularly as I deny them at
the edge router).  OTOH, in my proposed layout one of the basic concepts is
that hosts with RFC1918 addresses are never allowed to exchange packets with
hosts on the Internet so this situation should never arise.  All the working
system hosts and customer hosts have public addresses and in this case the
Internet sourced ICMP messages should be routed over the RFC1918 network
correctly - er, right? :-)  Shouldn't this work equally well for the PM3
dialups (who all have public addresses) as long as their host/router
supports pathMTU discovery?

Also, the inter-pop routers don't involve the Internet and as they are under
my administration I will advertise the RFC1918 addresses with ospf for any
inter-pop transmissions.

I am more interested in the security aspects than reclaiming the addresses
but it is also appealing to not have to justify the usage each time we (or a
customer) want another block (It has been a hassle).  Currently, we have
about 100 subnets on the 5 Class Cs with about 55% still available as we NAT
most of our commercial users.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jim Flowers - EZNets, Inc. <jflowers@ezo.net>