Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:19:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vijai Gandikota <vijai_gandikota@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hostid Question

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the hostid of a machine
running FreeBSD. Entering the following command at
command line

% sysctl kern.hostid

gives me

kern.hostid: 0

I noticed in a couple of emails sent by other people
using FreeBSD (with the output of various system
values including hostid) that their hostid's also said
0.
Is this normal? On UNIX normally when I enter the
command
% hostid

I get a 8 letter alphanumeric value like 23a4076b.

My next question is do I need to change the hostid
from 0 to any other value?

If anyone has any suggestions in the regard please let
me know.
Thank you
Vijai