Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:25:41 -0800
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2.1-REL or -CURRENT on a amd64 production system?

--Boundary-02=_U4EaACz5/YTrQpG

So I have a dual-Opteron system I have been testing for the last couple=20
of months w/ FreeBSD 5.2.x-REL/amd64 code.  As the box is about ready to=20
be put into production as a storage/DB server, and as I have been=20
catching up on mail from the amd64 list from the past week, I do have=20
some concerns:

=2D RELENG_5_2 or .?  I have a particular aversion to running -CURRENT code=
=20
on production systems.  But reading the fixes the the stack alignment=20
code that Peter Wemm did here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dfreebsd-amd64&m=3D107981757401261&w=3D2

and the lack of responses to my pending issues with make buildworld,=20
makes it seem that most everyone here is running -CURRENT.   How stable=20
is it at the moment...? (one would assume O'Brien's latest snapshot=20
ISO's are fine in this regard)  I just have a aversion to 4-6 months=20
down the line having to recompile all my ports ;)

=2D VLAN support - BTW, in case anyone needed to know, adding vlan support=
=20
to the kernel, then activating it on a network interface, causes=20
ifconfig to panic (at least in 5.2.1-REL).  Dunno if anyone else has=20
tried it yet or not in -CURRENT...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide (I will probably file=20
the VLAN issue as a bug report if it hasn't already been fixed in=20
=2DCURRENT)

=2DPeter
=2D-=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP Key E8048D08 | "The bits must flow"