Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/44074: ln(1) manual clarifications [patch]

The following reply was made to PR docs/44074; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 15 Oct 2002 10:10:49 -0700

 Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:

 > No contest to your other arguments, but this one seems a matter of
 > preference to me; most of my acquaintances, as well as I, use 'symbolic
 > link' almost exclusively, usually shortening it to 'symlink' in informal
 > conversations.

 The power of Wishful Thinking, it seems.  And I'd forgotten about the
 shorter symlink form until after I'd made my arguments and most changes
 and then noticed symlink(7) in "See Also".  Groups.google.com shows:

                    *BSD*   *UNIX*   *LINUX*
 soft link           110     1030      2240
 symbolic link       535     7790     19300
 symlink            1070     8480     31300

 Not even close.  I'm shocked, but there it is.

 I still think the change would improve the manual and the jargon, but
 I'll respect the tradition (as if I had a choice) and back it out (after
 waiting for comments on other things).