Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:30:35 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good wireless card for -current?

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 07:27 pm, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:30:35PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > > Ok, based on local availability, and recommendations from various
> > > folks, I've narrowed it down to aironet 350, and netgear MA401NA. Any
> > > commentary on those two cards is welcome. I'm particularly interested
> > > in hearing about the netgear card, since wi(4) lists the MA401 model,
> > > but not the NA.
> >
> > MA401 and MA401NA are the same cards, NA stands for Network Adapter.
>
> I had hoped that this was the case, but I've been burned by that kind of
> thing before. NA could stand for "New and Advanced!" and be a totally
> different chipset or something.... bastards.
>
> > It's under -CURRENT, and I use the card daily.  Don't ask me what means
> > RA :))
>
> What kind of speed do you get on this with encryption enabled? My laptop
> can do 6-7 MBps on the wire, so I'm looking for something that can at
> least do 5.5 with full WEP (yes I know WEP isn't secure, but I like to
> raise the bar if I can). Also, does it do promiscuous mode? The vendor
> website is of limited usefulness.

    5.5-6Mbps is the best average throughput you will see, and that
only after you tune the receive buffer space (I use 24KB), and when
you're close enough to have full signal strength.

    For most stuff, that's plenty.  It's certainly enough to have
multiple ssh sessions, MP3 streaming, email, and web browsing going.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)