Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:30:05 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple ffmpeg versions in ports

On 31/03/2016 10:29, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 30 March 2016 at 23:28, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What do you think about having numerous versions of ffmpeg in ports,
>>> similar to lang/python?
>>>

>> I guess the obvious question is how could it be possible for multiple
>> ffmpeg versions to be installed at the same time? Is it possible to ensure
>> the files do not overlap, and that each package is linking against the
>> correct installed version?
>>
>> --
>> From: Benjamin Woods
>> woodsb02@gmail.com
>>

> Probably speaking out of turn, but we do have ffmpeg0 and ffmpeg in ports
> now. For quite some time we had ffmpeg1, as well, but I think all ports
> have now moved on, so ffmpeg1 was removed. It would be up to someone to
> write he support for a separate ffmpeg3/

ffmpeg, ffmpeg0 and ffmpeg1 when it existed, can all be installed
simultaneously. If you look through the ffmep0 Makefile you will find
it adds a 0 suffix to the binaries, libraries and dirs installed to
prevent conflicts. The ffmpeg configure step supports specifying the
dirs to install into as well as the suffix to add.

It may be time ffmpeg is updated to 3.x and the current ffmepg could be
moved to ffmpeg2. It is only a matter of someone making and maintaining
the port/s for each version, probably more to the point is how many
other ports would need a version other than what is in ffmpeg.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler