Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 18:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: safely briding from internet to "localnet"

On 23-May-01 Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> I'm still at a loss here; I'm probably asking the wrong questions.
>

> I have vmware successfully installed, and have networking between my
> machine and the virtual machine as a local network.
>
> What I'm not getting is how to get my machine to act as a gateway or
> bridge to the local network so that it can see the rest of the world.
>
> I understand that natd and/or ipfw are involved, but the man pages make
> it look like I'm playing with fire.
>
> All I want is for the machine to be a gateway for a "machine" on the
> "local" network that can be trusted absolutely, and to do absolutely
> nothing for any other machine in the world.  There must be a simple way
> to do this, and probably even a page explaining it . . .
>
> hawk

whoa. i did this exact thing on monday. natd and ipfw are involved. also,
recompiling the kernel and stuff. i followed the directions from
www.freebsdzine.org and it works great. I think it was the
february issue. i'd send a link, but for some reason i cant reach it right
now. Only problem I ran into was this, in the natd man page, it says to add
"options IPFIREWALL" and "options IPDIVERT" to the kernel. i found that i had
to use "option IPDIVERT" for some reason.

if you have any problems, let me know. that box is at work, so i can
check stuff out tomorrow on it if you need help.

-mark