Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 05:19:52 +0000
From:      "Christian S.J. Peron" <csjp@sqrt.ca>
To:        Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNUstep and libkvm

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 06:21:54PM -0800, Pascal Hofstee wrote:

> I guess to sum it all up it all boils down to the following question.
>
> Is it intended that kvm_getargv() apparently has a conditional under
> which it depends on the existince of a working /proc .. even though
> the manpage states this condition is only present for kvm_getenvv ?
>
> And if kvm_getargv should not depend on /proc ... how can we go about
> to fixing this as this is apprently only the case for "short
> commandlines" in our current implementation.

iirc, kvm_getargv() can (and does first) use a sysctl to retrieve
it's data.  kvm_getenvv() requires procfs because
/proc/<pid>/mem is currently the more simpler to read a virtual
memory address in the context of the process.

We are looking at implementing a similar mechanism to the "argv"
ps_strings for process environment to get rid of the procfs requirement.

pjd has some work done on this but it has not been committed yet.
Hope this answers your question.

Regards
Christian S.J. Peron