Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 1996 08:44:44 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao), security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

I've just restored the old behavior as part of qpop2.2.  I think going to
/var/mail is useless given that chown() is restricted.

  From: Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
  Brian Tao wrote:
  > On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Karl Denninger, MCSNet wrote:
  > >
  > > Does this mean we should give up on using mail?
  >
  > No, it means you keep mail on a separate machine and manipulate
  > your mailbox through a server like POP3 or IMAP.

  But this is what started the thread, right ? With the current
  scheme qpop 2.2 will not work with FreeBSD; at least not for
  new users (it doesn't have enough permissions to set up the
  per-mailbox lock file.)

  -Ade
  Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;