Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:38:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      root <root@blane.interland.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sync question

Hello,

First post here.  I have a need to move 15 freebsd server over 1000 miles
in a very short period of time.  Ie:  8 hours.  We are going to charter a
plane to accomplish this.  I do not want to pull the harddrives out of the
server if at all possible.  So my question is this:  Does sync(2) called
by shutdown(8) or halt(8) park the heads of the drive?  I need to know if
I should take the drives out or will they be safe enough in the server if
the server packed good will survive the trip.  My thinking is if the heads
are parked then no harm no foul.  Thanks in advance.

Andrew Hall