Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:29:22 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

Moved to -scsi...

Justin, as Mr. SCSI (can i call you that? :) ) I'd like to ask you
something

* Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk> [010312 13:20] wrote:

> > > This is worse than expected, try to use option ATA_ENABLE_WC
> > > and see what gives, if its not back to normal we have to look elsewhere.
> >
> > Mr ATA, is there no ATA command to "syncronize cache" like in SCSI?
>
> Yes, there is, and the ATA driver even uses it, the problem is WHEN
> to use it. I originally made it flush the cache if a write contained
> the BIO_ORDERED bit, but that doesn't work with softupdates..
> If somebody can come up with a way to tell me when I need to flush
> the write cache, then I'll happily add that..

Justin, I've heard that SCSI knows when to send sync-cache commands
to the disks, how does the driver know when to do this based on
the bio request?

It'd be nice to get this fixed for 4.3 because I've noticed terrible
perf for laptops because of the complete lack of write caching... :(

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/