Date:      04 Jul 2001 20:26:27 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   limit on username length ?

Hi there,

We are migrating one of our last Linux boxen to freebsd. This one is
the mail server.

Our convention for usernames in the past has been
username.domain eg.
wayne.realtime.co.uk

When I try and add this user on a FreeBSD machine with pw I just get a
username too long error. When I try and add the user with useradd I
get a message saying that the username is longer than 16 characters.

Is there a way to overcome this length limit? I can't really get hold
of everyone and tell them to change their usernames at this late stage
in the game :)

What other ways could I deal with this? Let users authenticate against
some other kind of database for mail ?

Thanks in advance :(

--
- Wayne Pascoe