Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:07:01 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        mrl@teleport.com, current@Freebsd.Org
Subject:   Re: aic7xxx driver problem with wide and narrow busses attached.

>> Disable parity detection in SCSI-Select.  I'm still trying to
>> track down why this happens on machines that have both a
>> Wide and narrow bus attached.  (Hey Rod... care to lend me
>> a wide disk again? 8-)
>>
>I'll have to do some house cleaning... my spare wide drive is a bit
>full of data right now:
>/dev/sd1a     2088244  1936934   -15750   101%    /B
>
>> I'll turn parity error checking off again in the driver for now.
>
>I'll slap a narrow disk on my 2940W and see if I can duplicate it
>here, if it does duplicate I'll see about getting this data rolled
>out to other disks and get it down to you for a debug session...

It may only occur on the 7880 based controllers.  Do you have any
older 2940Ws around?

>Should I be able to duplicate this in -stable, or does this problem
>only seem to be occuring with -current?

I only enabled parity checking for the aic78X0 family recently in
-current.  I didn't even think much about it since it was an
oversight that it wasn't enabled before and it has been enabled
for some time on the aic7770 chips.  The setting tracks what is
set in SCSI-Select so its easy to change.  I should have the -current
driver pulled back into -stable soon (minus the parity stuff).  I'll
send you a private patch to enable the parity once I do this.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations