Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:16:30 +0300
From:      Ekaterina Ivannikova <kate@gutatelecom.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to isolate jails from the host system ?

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 09:27:57PM +0100, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 17:42 +0300, Ekaterina Ivannikova wrote:
> >
> > It appeares that though processes in a jail are not allowed to
> > bind to the host system's ip address, they are still assigned
> > this ip address if they try to connect to daemons running on
> > the host system.
>
> That's hard to believe. :)  At least it contradicts the jail(2)
> idea.  Processes in jails can *only* bind to the IP assigned to
> the jail.  Not even 127.0.0.1 is available.
>
> Although there was (is?) a bug with UDP packets mistakenly being
> sent _from_ the host's address under certain circumstances.  But
> a fix is available, search for "jail" in the gnats database.

I triped over this one. This is bug kern/20946, status closed, but
it seems that the relevant patch did not make it into the -STABLE
source. The patch may be found at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/udp_usrreq.c.diff?r1=1.73&r2=1.74&f=u
Thanx for your help, now it works as expected.

Regards,

Ekaterina Ivannikova