Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:04:35 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no more telnet

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Andy Farkas wrote:

> Could somebody please explain why I can't get into one of my systems?  I
> am getting a 'telnetd: All network ports in use.' message when I try to
> telnet to port 23, but other services are ok.  Tcp_wrappers is installed.
>
> The machine went down unexpectantly due to power failure, and came back up
> in its current state.  I have never seen that message before.  Is a trip
> to the console the only way??

When i saw the subject line I thought someone was gloating over getting
rid of telnet having installed something like ssh as a replacement.

Installing ssh won't save you a trip to the console if it's currently
required, since you need access before you can install ssh.  Once you're
back up though you might consider installing ssh and running it as a
daemon, (not through inetd) so that it acts as a backup access method in
case your problem returns.

Andrew McNaughton